Google+ Considerings: 7 Quick Takes #49 x FTSF

Friday, 17 January 2014

7 Quick Takes #49 x FTSF

--- 1 ---
Finish the Sentence Friday

I once saw the biggest...

...nothing. I never saw the biggest anything in my life. Or the best. Or the most. Or the greatest.

I never got the furthest or highest or deepest. I never succeeded at the hardest or the academic-est. I didn't go the longest. I've never been the best.
There are so many superlatives I can't relate to or don't (or should try not to) engage with - all those things which can be suffixed by '-est': 

Successful. Intelligent. Accomplished. Pretty. Rich. Cool. 

And never mind those things which I should stay away from trying to internalise - I can't even believe that I've *seen* them. Anything I've ever encountered will doubtless be trumped by someone else's experience, and in a way (perhaps) it's all subjective anyway - my best or biggest or brightest might in fact BE the greatest or biggest or brightest, because the sum of its relevance is whatever it means to me, in that moment.

But I don't think so.

Superlatives are there for a reason (as well as for motivation and inspiration). We cling to the idea that they exist - that somewhere, somehow, there truly is a pinnacle of whatever-it-is, and that when we encounter it, we can stare, transfixed, and know deep down in our souls that we've come across something which can be objectively labelled as the first and foremost of its kind.

And yet...

...each morning I wake up to a world which is jam-packed of absolutely incredible things. 

There are cycles for water and carbon and people; the scent of a rose or tomato's green sepal; skyscrapers, ice-scrapers, boats cars and trains; waterfalls, forests and wide open plains; all the machines that we humans have made; the heavens each day where the sunset's displayed; land-snails or sea-snails or sails on turbines; sails on the boats crossing oceans' confines; from ants to plants to elephants; the world keeps spinning its living dance; and each day though I oft digress; I should pay heed to its wonderfulness.

Yes, there are things about this world which suck. Bigtime. I've heard much about worst, cruellest, nastiest, wickedest. And we only have to open our eyes and look around to see poorest. Sickest. Saddest. Least.

But at the same time (and I can say this with confidence, because I feel like I know you a little - if you've read this far, I suspect you'll understand) I've got a sneaking feeling that if we stop for a second, consider the beautiful around us and weigh it up against the brutal, we'll be able to wrap our heads around the brutiful of our everyday, though we might not like it, and resolve to do something about it.

Beautiful - we can share, celebrate, create, engage, involve, immerse. 

Brutal - we can sympathise, commiserate, help, contribute, protect, fight against.

And perhaps in the end, the thing I should be more aware of seeing each day when I wake up, is the biggest opportunity - for me, and you, and us - to make our world better, one small, vital thing at a time.

And I think that's the wonderfullest.
--- 2 ---
I have to thank Kari, from Miss Bloggypants, for putting me onto this song. Another that I only just discovered (I somehow miss out continually, and am SO grateful when someone hooks me up with them and makes my world instantly better) and I LOVE IT SO HARD!


--- 3 ---
I had some FABULOUS moments with guest posts this week.

Chris from The Mom Cafe wrote a *stunningly* beautiful piece to share here, all about how we should measure our worth - whether we weigh ourselves against scales which are forever set to fail, or whether the size of our heart is more important than the size of our dress (here's a clue - it should be, though it's all too easy to forget).

And I got the opportunity to share something WONDERFUL over at PenPaperPad (thanks Tamara) about the awesome power of words, and how they can affect us *so* much. And I think it might be the favouritest thing I've written recently. Go on - check it out :)
--- 4 ---

Oh. And just to make it *that* bit even more superfantasticallyunbelievablypainful, I got hit between the eyes with the realisation that the appointment at which Husby's meds will be changed and that milestone signifying the crash and burn of our hopes and dreams* is THE DAY BEFORE VALENTINE'S DAY.

HowZAT for fucking awful timing. I know it's 'just another day', in the same way that Christmas was 'just another day'...but really? I could SO have done without that.

*probably. Or definitely, because even if I happen to be pregnant by then, there are no guarantees, and it will still be The End. A better and more manageable End if we can come out of it parents to at least one live child, forsure, but still awful.

--- 5 ---

Beth's Sunshine award has proliferated! She sent me one (yay!), and sent them also to Inion N. Mathair over at Two Voices One Thought, and to the lovely Sarah, over at Amycake and The Dude. Then these wonderful human beings SENT THEM TO ME AS WELL!

I tellya - I was *that* excited! And I need some sunshine (and to know that I bring some to others - that's ALWAYS awesome), so I'll be responding to these properly next week. But I can't let more time pass without at least a tip of the hat in grateful acknowledgement of these wonderful bloggers.

--- 6 ---
Tonight, as is our wont these days, a group of quite simply TERRIFIC bloggers will be congregating on Google+ Hangouts for live, face-to-face VidChat. We talk about writing, forsure, but also ALL THINGS UNDER THE SUN. And if you're awesome, and fancy joining us, add me on Google+ and let me know.

We'd love to see you there.

It's the Next Big Thing - You heard it here first!

--- 7 ---
Something AMAZING is happening at the Ten Things of Thankful tomorrow - ANOTHER awesome announcement for our little blog hop of loveliness! Come on over this weekend and discover what it is...

Ten Things of Thankful

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

51 comments:

  1. First and Santy Kid strikes again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, now that I got that out of the way, I love how you handled this and have to admit for the first time I was stumped on a FTSF sentence. I literally took the easy way out and used a sponsored post to get me off the hook so to speak, but you totally rocked this one and seriously my hat is off to you for this one big time!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BOOM! Yeah ya did :) Now you can relax and read it *grins*

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be perfectly honest, I sat here for about half an hour, my brain SCREAMING, trying to think of a way to manage this one. It was really, really hard, so I'm glad it turned out well. I kind of subverted it, which needed to happen. THANK YOU.

    I'm glad you managed to wriggle out of it, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, glad we both did, because I will be honest I really wasn't sure if I would pull this one off tonight, but thanking god I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to read it tomorrow :D I'll link up in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an awesome post. I like to read you most. OK it is a close second. I've been entertained since beckoned. A lovely form of art. In which you pour your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing wrong with subversion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey… good F of the T for Friday! always a place to see the world as it appears to few but those who can see more than they can see alone.


    ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved how you handle the FTSF prompt,Lizzi. I disagree that you are not any of those superlatives, but the way you turned it into a call to action - that was the amazing-est. And your guest posts this week were too - seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post highlights the difference between us. You see that sentence prompt and write a beautiful answer full of -ests, while I look at it and think, "I saw the world's biggest baseball bat!" Your banner tells the truth, you deep thinker, you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE LOVE LOVE this Lizzi!! Oh, you speak the hearts of many- who hold the rankings of "middle"- never best nor least. I wonder what either feels like often.

    I am SO glad you got more sunshine! PERFECT. I'm not surprised in the least,

    And Valentine's Day eh? Crap.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, I quite agree ;) Everything in its place, right??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why thank you. And I know I could (and would) never steal you from lovely Kate :D But thank you HUGE :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I do. I sure hopes so, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awwwwwh DANA! You've made me go all soppy and twinkly. You *do* have a knack for that ;) Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. *snorks with laughter* Ohhhh but I do love that you've seen that. And I can't wait to read the rest of your post and see what you did with yours. And thank GOODNESS for those differences and for your ability to crack open a round of giggles. If everyone was as deep and thinky as me, the Blogosphere would be an exhausting place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I dunno - dependablest. It can be transmuted. And it could make you VERY popular in the event of the Zombocalypse or a shipwreck or something :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. You tell me, my dear! Not only would I have you pegged under 'lovingest', I would DEFINITELY expect to see your picture next to the entry for 'excitablest'...

    I'm stunned (and so happy) for the sunshine :D And looking forward to immersing myself in it.

    And yeah. Total crap.

    ReplyDelete
  20. that stinks on the timing...really stinks ((HUGS)) I still pray for you...
    totally great response to FTSF...I was stumped and took the silly route. I love your explanation though...surely made me think.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was very nearly stumped, too. Jen made me work hard for this one :) Looking forward to reading yours when I can get to it later.

    Thanks so much for your prayers Karen. That's really sweet of you, and I only hope they work. The timing is atrocious *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I think this is the first time I found my way here, and I am glad. This is well written, and so heartfelt, i can't wait to read more!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Welcome Nancy, so nice to have you over to visit. I'm glad you enjoyed what you read :) thanks. Do come back again. Fancy joining the Ten Things of Thankful tomorrow??

    ReplyDelete
  24. donofalltrades17 January 2014 14:55

    You're always so cerebral and never straight to a point, but I love you anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You're pretty amazing you know. I can give you a superlative: you are THE BEST at evoking gratitude and bringing it out in others. xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kristi - Finding Ninee17 January 2014 16:31

    It is the wonderfullest to make our world better, one small, vital thing at a time.I love that. So much.
    Big sigh to the timing. That totally sucks and it should just be illegal for anybody to mess around with the vital things such as this near any holiday. Hugs friend. Big ones.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awww fanx dude :D

    I couldn't GET to the point - I never saw a biggest anything. Truly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey thanks so much. You just made me grin HUGE. And I bet I could find you someone better than me at it, but I reckon it's one of the things I'm pretty good at :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks lovely :D I'm looking forward to accepting them.


    And YEAH IT IS. Nerts to it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I *almost* made the day better today. I was a very pleasant, smiley professional to spend time with, even when the camera broke and sent me into a 30 minute hold-up at the end of the day. We made it fun and had a laugh.

    Glad you like it. I reckon it's something you'd do easily.

    And yeah. I don't think the NHS really pays much attention to silly things like Valentine's day or the inappropriateness of the timing. They got budgets to stick to and deadlines to meet. And really I should just be grateful that we've got access to medicines AT ALL!

    But thanks for the hugs. I'll take all the hugs I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cellulite Looks Better Tan17 January 2014 18:59

    I friggin love you! There are so many things about you that are ests. I needed to hear this, to open my eyes and see the wonderful that is right in front of me, and to capture and actually appreciate my surroundings. You're the mostest, brilliantest, awemosest! Thanks for sharing your words.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awwwh you made me feel all glowy inside! Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ack. No deserving. Because the inverse would be true if it doesn't happen - that i DON'T deserve it. And I can't stand that. It's a totally utterly completely separate thing. But Thanks SO MUCH for hanging onto those hopes. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am listening to Madness and LOVING it! That's a good friend not to let you miss it;). Good luck on the 13th, Lizzi. It will be intense and a whole host of other things, but you express yourself beautifully and I really believe that will continue to move you on to the next great thing in life...whatever that may be for you. I will pray for you on 2/13 and I know that you will come out strong:). I feel more than a pang of guilt for not having sent out my own rays of sunshine after you sent yours my way, but it will happen soon. I don't have to explain to you how busy life gets. And as for superlatives, they are fun to use and most of us just abuse the hell out of them for effect. You are a bigger person than most...:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Madness is AMAZING, right? I listened to it on a loop for HOURS.


    Thanks in advance for your thoughts and prayers on the 13th. It's gonna be a weird day, forsure. I hope that I'll come out strong. Or something.


    Don't feel guilt - sunshine is always good whenever it happens. And no, you have nothing to explain.



    Not sure I'm a bigger person. I just don't identify with them.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sqeeeee... You.ARE.SO.WELCOME! I love this that you love that song so much....and am happy that you found it on my mixed tape! ;) How super awesome! :) *mwah-mwah-mwah* LOVE IT... I love being able to imagine you all the way across the ocean, in another timezone totally jamming to "Madness"... (and, I JUST found out about this song too not too long ago and that is usually the case for me, I'm always 'late to the party' so to speak. So, don't feel too bad for having just found out about this song!) Loves 'n hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Power of the internet, right? Isn't it AWESOME :D

    And yes - I've jammed to this for HOURS. On a loop. REALLY love it.

    Glad I'm not the only only one who's late to the party ;) *MWAH*

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love how you started this off. Now I'm going to be racking my brain because I want to claim at least one surperlative - a really cool one - not a bug.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I bet you could be the Kenya-est ;) Or the sporadickest tweeter. Hmmm that's a thinker :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Maybe you didn't realize that poop could also be the biggest? Maybe if you did, then maybe it could be different.
    I am sorry I can't be with you tonight. The boy really needs me, he's having a hard time with the baby sitter being gone and he doesn't know how to express it so it is coming out as tantrums and crying jags....
    But I will miss you all and join you for thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I did not realise that until I read your blog. BUT I didn't see it. I guess perhaps I could've vicariously claimed the biggest poop...

    Sorry to hear he's struggling so much. Glad you're there for him, and I hope it's not too horrendous for you. Still SO mad at your sitter for letting you down.

    We miss you - the gang send their love. And see you on the TToT *mwah*

    ReplyDelete
  42. Natalie the Singingfool18 January 2014 04:36

    Wow, I never even thought of how often I try to be superlative, instead of just being enough. Food for thought for me today.
    And I commiserate with you on the V-day news. :( My heart hurts for you, hon.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Certainly a thinker. I don't try *too* often to be superlative. I get very competitive and I know that's something I need to rein in. It can get a bit much.

    Thanks. Mine does too :(

    ReplyDelete
  44. Insomniac's Dream18 January 2014 18:22

    Here's a superlative for you - You are the bravest, bestest maker of words.

    ReplyDelete
  45. It's incredibly sweet of you to say you think so, especially out loud, in a place where your reputation as the #1 SnarkBitchQueen of Funnies and NOSLEEP could be jeopardized. I appreciate it huge :D

    ReplyDelete
  46. Insomniac's Dream18 January 2014 18:28

    Pffft, you bleed all over your blog all the time, it's not a secret that you're the BRAVEST.


    Also, screw you. <3 :D

    ReplyDelete
  47. Mmhmm, though remember I'm always highly edited. And sometimes I hide things around the internets so I can maintain that good facade. I'm only *so* honest.



    But thank you. And screw you right back! I knew you wouldn't be able to let that one slide XD Aaaaalways gotta bring the vitriol somehow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Well you turned that one on its head, didn't ya? As always, looking further, different, sideways at a prompt and get a STELLAR post out of it. Thought provoking. Awesomeness. You word architect, you. Love you to bits. Congrats on all the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I felt pretty pleased with myself about this one, actually. Took me half an hour of staring at a metophorical blank piece of paper wondering what to write about 'biggest' before I realised that I didn't NEED to write about biggest. That was a lightbulb moment right there :) And thank you <3 <3

    (I should thank YOU for the sunshine - you shared it and now I'm reaping it back in - I just got notified of another one I got awarded, so I have a TRIPLE sunshine post to do this week, which I think will be perfect timing.)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Nailed it.
    I find that having to force my way out of depression hell, I do not look at the world in the same way. Everything is magnificent if you just look. We are so busy and consumed with tasks and this and that, that we have become oblivious to our surroundings.
    Love this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hence the original meaning behind the Ten Things of Thankful. There was a time, way back, when finding those things to be thankful of was all that got me through the day.

    It's super tough.

    ReplyDelete

The comment box is where the REAL magic happens - jump on in - I love hearing from you.